Well, February is the month of love they say (I prefer to think that every month is the month of love but I guess that doesn’t sell so many flowers, cards and chocolates!)
I was invited by my local TV company to do an interview about lasting love. I didn’t get very long to talk so I decided to record a video and to write a blog about this because I think it’s really important.
I decided to narrow it down to five points although I have a lot to say about this topic! Here are the 5 points:
- make every day romantic whether it’s the time for a prolonged hug at the end of a busy day or taking time at bedtime to exchange an appreciation of one another
- create a vision for your relationship. What is possible? Dream big because you are co-creating what YOU want!
- honor your commitment. I find that many couples don’t bring up the concept of commitment and that it’s just assumed – but this is really important! If you make a strong commitment to one another – and keep it – you are able to express yourself honestly and openly and know that you have created a safe container. This is where true intimacy comes from
- take ownership for your experience and take responsibility for your feelings. Nobody can “make” you feel a certain way. Understand that your issues are your own unmet needs and that you can be triggered by things that wouldn’t faze others. Learn how to communicate so each of you can express yourselves clearly and be a good listener
- make your relationship a priority. We all know it’s true that the more you put into something the more you get out of it! I see a relationship as a garden that needs to be nurtured. It needs to be watered and fertilized so that you both can reap the benefits. Together you can grow and accomplish things that wouldn’t be possible alone.
I hope you have enjoyed my thoughts on what keeps love alive! I love to do couples coaching so if you want a great relationship rather than a “good enough” one, let’s talk!